Monday, February 17, 2014

Dehydrated Onions



Do you like the smell of onions? Do you want it to permeate everything in your house? Do you like your eyes stinging throughout the day? Then dehydrating onions is right for you! I'm telling you this to save you from onion-scented curtains: move the dehydrator outside. Trust me, I learned the hard way.


I bought a dehydrator a few years ago with the intention of doing something, sometime with it. I can't even remember at this point. But now it's appliance #2 in the use-everything-in-the-kitchen experiment.

I have this simple model that is really easy to use. It is a bit noisy and gets really warm but definitely dehydrates well. This was so simple to do, I will probably not buy dried, minced onions again. One onion produced several tablespoons of minced onions.

Here's what I did:

  • Slice the onions into rings (cut uniform so they dry the same, thinner will dry faster).
  • Place slices on the trays not touching.
  • Dry for approximately 5 hours.
  • Once dry, pulse in food processor until minced.


1 comment:

  1. Dehydrated onion flakes is used as a variety of foods and dishes, such as pizza and pasta. Mevive International is the specialized Dehydrated Onion suppliers and manufacturer in inida

    ReplyDelete