Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Dehydrated Mushrooms


I used to hate mushrooms. They taste like dirt and have the consistency of dead snails. The only way I would eat them before was on pizza, but that's just because everything is good on pizza. Although I will probably never be the girl that eats a portabella mushroom as an entree, I am warming up to them....in small doses.

I decided to dehydrate an 8oz bag of sliced mushrooms because I wanted to to use them more as seasoning. I think they give a more hearty, earthy flavor to dishes. I just laid the mushroom slices out flat on the dehydrator, not touching, and dried for about 5 hours until they easily break. Then I ran half of them through the food processor so that they were finely ground but still had some larger pieces. I saved the other half as whole, dried pieces.

I made a savory seasoning mix with the following:

  • Dried, chopped mushrooms (the 1/2 I used in the food processor)
  • 1 Tbs minced dried onion
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
I used this seasoning in some potatoes, and it was amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment