Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Terrarium



I've already said I am not a gardener. I stopped buying house plants a long time ago and recently gave up outdoor plants after the slow death of a hanging flower basket. But my mom, the optimist, gave me a small greenhouse with 6 succulents as a gift.

Can you kill succulents? Yes, yes you can

After killing 4 of the 6 plants in two weeks,
I needed to get these planted, pronto. I really like the small terrariums on Pinterest and this one in particular seemed pretty easy. I liked the idea of using glass containers from around the house. I didn't have anything so I needed to make a quick trip to the dollar store.







Supplies needed:

Glass containers
Rocks (also from the dollar store)
Potting soil
Moss
Plants!






First layer the bottom with larger rocks to help with water drainage.



Then add the potting soil.


Dig a small hole and plant the succulent. Add moss on top and any decorative rock.


A bit of a disclaimer. I lost the second plant. It completely fell apart when I pulled it out of the container. So I had a 5 out of 6 plant failure on this one. The second container became just rock and moss but still looked ok.



I ended up later getting a few more plants and making this. Fingers crossed it lasts for more than a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment